Southern Tier Part 2 - Day #1 Ocean Springs, MS to Perkinston, MS

Southern Tier Part 2 - Day #1
April 13, 2022
Ocean Springs, MS to  Perkinston, MS - 57 Miles
Start 3:05 PM Finish 8:03 PM
Ride Time 4:04
Ascent 1470 Feet
Descent 1335 Feet
Tour Total 57 Miles

I began the ride heading east on Highway 90 back towards Gautier. It was a busy divided four-lane highway. A strong wind was coming from the southeast against my front right shoulder. The temperature was 79°F. I passed a roadkill possum in front of a roadside bar called Rumors.


I took a left on State Highway 57 towards Vancleave. I was now heading north with the wind at my back. This highway was also divided four lane with lots of fast moving motor traffic. It had a nice wide shoulder and I was enjoying my tailwind. I was finally back on the route. I was on the ACA Southern Tier map #6, paper panel number 87.


The road merged down to two lanes and there were twelve inch wide rumble strips, half of which were under the white line and the other half taking up fifty percent of the shoulder. I had six inches to ride on which wasn’t enough. Come on Mississippi DOT! So I rode to the left of the white line and slowed motor traffic.


On my way into Vancleave I stopped at the Honey Hole for two pulled-pork sandwiches and a red Gatorade. The billboard out front had advertised pretty waitresses, which was probably what prompted me. On my way into Vancleave I was honked out by a motorist. It was impossible to ride on the shoulder because of the rumble strips. I had radar and a side-view mirror. I was acutely aware of all the motorized traffic in the lane. Give me a break dude!


In Vancleave I took a left on Jim Ramsey Road heading west. There were no rumble strips or much of a shoulder. I noticed very little motor traffic. I passed the first the tour’s first confederate flag, or rather a flag with the right half stars and bars and the left half old glory. A little ways down the road I passed an enormous roadkill bird of prey on the side of the road. The air was thick because of the humidity.


After a few more miles I noticed a consortment of flags in someone’s front yard. One of them I recognized to be the old Mississippi state flag which included a confederate symbol in the upper left-hand corner. There was another flag for a local politician, and then a ‘Don’t Tread on Me’ flag.


I missed the turn off for John Smith Road and had to go back. I didn’t stray too far off route. I had been distracted by a collection of radio and cell phone towers. My service had been poor, and I wondered why it didn’t improve near the towers. This was obviously not a Verizon area. I headed north on John Smith Road.


I decided to switch to airplane mode to save battery. I was rolling through mostly flat pine groves punctuated with swamps. The road meandered and there were no pavement markings and little traffic. The late afternoon sun was trying to poke its way through the clouds.


I took a right on La Rue Road which translated from French as the road road. There was no traffic and I felt like the only one out here. I made a mistake at the intersection in front of the Larue community center. I took a left and should have gone straight. I quickly corrected myself. The next section of road had fresh asphalt and newly painted yellow lines. There were construction signs indicating one lane road ahead, but I never came to it. I passed a road kill snake.


I crossed into Harrison county and passed another roadkill snake. I took a left on State Highway 15 going south and directly into the wind. I then took a right on Bethel Road. Gray clouds appeared in the west, and it was getting dark. I took a right on Airey Tower road heading north towards Perkinston, my destinations for the day. It was 6:30 PM and I had another hour of daylight. I felt confident that I would beat the rain. The the route continued to be free of motor traffic


I crossed into Stone County. There was no official sign but I noticed an old stone post. The road surface turned to pink. About 7 miles out from my destination I pulled over to remove my sunglasses and turn on my front headlight. I had about 40 minutes until sundown. I rode through the Hamlet of Sunflower. There were no services, but it had a water tower and a community center. I passed another old Mississippi State flag that included the stars and bars in the upper left-hand corner. There were large Dobermans in the yard and I quickly grabbed my pepper spray. Fortunately they didn’t chase me and I didn’t need it. It was still quite humid but the temperature had dropped. It was comfortable cycling weather.


I took a right on busy four-lane US Highway 49. The route went left at Ten Mile Road but I decided to ride a mile ahead for provisions at an Exxon station. I soon learned that Stone county was dry, so I left empty handed. I battled the headwind back to Ten Mile Road and took a right towards Mill Valley RV Park.


The office was closed when I arrived so I called the owner Dale. The friendly caretakers Terry and Loretta noticed me, and got me signed in. Because of the storm rolling in, they let me set up underneath a tin roof out back of the office building. I took a shower and then sat at a picnic table. I ate sausage and drank cans of Sprite while I prepared this report. The rain began before I was finished.


End of Part 1 - Ocean City, MS April 9, 2021


Beginning of Part2 - Ocean City, MS April 12, 2022

Map & Elevation Profile


⥢ prev -home- next ⥤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Southern Tier Part 2 - Day #4 Jackson, LA to Bunkie, LA

Southern Tier Part 2 - Day #2 Perkinston, MS to Franklinton, LA